http://www.reamined.on.ca/doconnor/
admin
Site Admin
firstname: osFree
lastname: admin

Re: Old Forum messages

Post by admin »

Dee Sharpe 6.4.2004

Is there anyone out there with a Compaq 1200T laptop running OS/2? I'm trying to get
the pcmcia slot and linksys EtherFast net card up and running.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

wishmaster 6.11.2004

is this project death?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sergey Posokhov 6.11.2004

I write one page for my API Research book every day. I covered Memory Management,
Handle Tables, all DOS & DevIO API and start VIO division. Another 20 cm of paper are
waiting in my bookshelf: FreePM, SOM/WPS and multimedia. I'll finish this book during
this summer, upload it to Hobbes for *free* reading, compare it with EDM/2 articles,
re-write & re-upload, and translate it to English language later. I have a time to do this
work so everithing is allright. Punks Not Dead but we need to understand all API functions
_before_ programming anything.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Atomic 6.19.2004

I read Chun's Post: He suggests to implement FreeOS on top of ReactOS but then asks
what makes FreeOS unique. Obviously if you use a ReactOS foundation the result will
no longer be unique......but ReactOS-like....can you spot the flaw in his logic?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Atomic 6.19.2004

Personally I believe that an open source OS/2 clone should represent a refinement over the
original OS/2 design, correcting any flaws that OS/2 might have had and incorporating modern
concepts and technologies that were developed during the past ten years. However obsolete
technology should not be supported to make the OS lean and functional, after all you should b
e developing looking towards the future not the past. For example I would not support Floppy
disks, concentrating instead on supporting Flash memory cards or the Sony memory sticks. A
Floppy no longer has sufficient storage space for modern day requirements, and is bound to
fail because of the many moving part while a Sony memory card is much smaller, holds the
content of several floppies and has NO moving parts. So why spend time and effort supporting
dynosaur technologies?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Atomic 6.19.2004

I know that the DOS compatibility is one of the key attractive points of OS/2, but I do
not think this is essential for a modern version of the operating system, OS/2 has much
more to offer than just the DOS compatibility. DOS is just another dynosaur technology....
can you get excited about something developed in the 1970s, before you were even born?
DUMP IT. Do not worry about 16 bit stuff. Today we must think in terms of 32 bits and
64 bits or your system will be obsolete before it is completed.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Atomic 6.19.2004

I think the OS should be inspired to the Kalashnikov: simple and reliable! It is better to
have few components that work perfectly than many components full of bugs. OS/2 used
to have a footprint of only about 60 megabites after installation and it would be nice if a
clone could still fit into 100 megabites
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

uri 6.19.2004

@Atomic: I am greatly in favour of implementing an OS/2 clone on top of ReactOS.
Yes, the result might be less unique - but you'd end up with an OS that could run both
OS/2 and Win32 apps. More importantly, it could even use Windows NT drivers! Just
imagine how hard it would be to find / write native OS/2 drivers for hardware like
nVidia boards (OK, there is SNAP, but what about 3D accel.?) or WLAN.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

david 6.23.2004

please start a new project using the l4 pistachio microkernels. if you use reactos, osfree is dead.
farewell os/2! make os/2 including the powerpc and embedded version, public domain. Am i the
only one interested in the future of os/2? how about a konami game for os/2?